Bread with potato filling makes a mouthwatering snack.
This is a perfect snack with afternoon tea or served as an
appetizer. Bread Potato Rolls are crunchy outside, spicy and
soft inside. Easy to prepare.
• 4 bread slices (bread should be firm)
• 2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, and mashed (this
makes about 1¼ cup mashed potatoes)
• ¼ cup green peas, boiled
• 1 teaspoon oil
• ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder
• ½ teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
• 1 tablespoon cilantro (hara dhania), finely chopped
• 1 green chili (hari mirch), minced (adjust to taste)
• 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
• Oil for frying
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the cumin seed. When
the cumin seed starts to crack, add green peas, green chili,
and ginger, and stir for a few seconds.
2. Add the potatoes and all the spices (chili powder, mango
powder, salt, cilantro) and stir-fry for a minute. Turn off the
3. Taste the mixture; it should be a little spicier than you like,
as it will taste milder inside the bread. Set aside.
4. Trim the edges of the bread slices and cut them into two
pieces. Set aside.
5. Roll 1½ tablespoons of the mixture at a time into an oval
shape. Make twelve rolls. (The size of the potato rolls will
depend on the size of the bread.)
6. Fill a small bowl with water to wet the bread.Dip one side
of a slice of the bread lightly in the water. Place the slice
between your palms and press, squeezing out the excess
water. This makes the bread moist.
7. Place the filling in the center of this bread and mold the
bread to completely cover it all around, giving an oval
8. Repeat to make all the rolls. Before frying, let them sit for
about five minutes. (This will evaporate some of the water
from the bread so that it absorbs less oil while frying,
making the bread rolls crisper.)
9. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. Drop the
rolls slowly into it, taking care not to overlap them.
10. Fry the bread rolls until they are golden brown, turning
occasionally. This should take about two to three minutes.
Take them out over a paper towel.
11. Serve them hot with hari cilantro chutney and tamarind
sweet and sour chutney.
Serve them hot with hari cilantro chutney and tamarind sweet and sour chutney.